Thursday, January 3, 2008

Transportation Costs per Mile - December 2007

This is the first month that I have decided to track all transportation costs and publish those costs based on $ cost per mile. Given that vehicle costs in the US average between 48 and 70 cents per mile, I came up substantially under that amount at 4 cents per mile. As expected walking is completely free. On average during my first month of keeping track of how I get around town I was surprised to find out that I had been averaging about 4 miles of walking a day. The most I walked during the month is the 6.5 trip to work. Although I have decided to track any costs associated with cycling such as tubes, tires, lube, and service I didn't spend anything on the bike this month. The highest cost was Caltrain, which is understandable since dont ride it enough to buy a monthly pass.

Of course walking will always be the most cost effective; costing me nothing. Cycling this month cost nothing but that is only because I didn't purchase anything this month. Any costs associated with the bike will be included such as tires, tubes, lube, service, etc.

After tallying up all the numbers for the month I was amazed that I had walkded 121 miles for the month. This was mostly from walks to the coffee shop, to the bus stop, the library. It all adds up. Most commuting was done buy bus though, which added up to 340 miles for the month. The only out of town trips were to Loon Lake (before you get to South Lake Tahoe, by car), a dinner in Berkeley (BART), and a 3 day trip to San Francisco (Caltrain and Muni).


The only expenses for the month which totaled $55.27 were mainly from Caltrain $21, shared car expenses to Tahoe $22, and Bus expenses in San Francisco $4 and BART $4. So for basically the cost to fill up my car I was able to travel for a month.



No comments: